Buy Uganda Build Uganda
THEME: Promoting Local Content: The Role of the Art and Entertainment Industry
15th-17th December 2021
UMA Multipurpose Hall
Soko Uganda Limited
P.O. Box 171, Kampala
1st Street Industrial Area
Buy Uganda, Build Uganda (BUBU) is a government policy that was approved by Cabinet in 2014 to promote the consumption and procurement of goods and services produced locally. This is meant to encourage foreign and local investors to produce locally; improve capacity of local producers, enhance the quality and competitiveness of local products on the domestic &International markets, create jobs and drive the nation to achieve industrialization and prosperity.
The BUBU Communication Plan was developed to primarily target changing the negative mindset of people towards Ugandan products. The Plan identifies the art and entertainment industry as a pivot in realizing the creation of a positive mindset towards Ugandan products. This is because the art and entertainment industry has played a vital role in promoting global trade in many aspects like being brand ambassadors, social influencers of different products or initiatives. Domestically, the industry has attracted the public to consume more of our local products both directly and indirectly and as well promoted the nation in different international forums which have picked interest in investing in Uganda.
Although the art and entertainment industry has positively influenced the consumption of Ugandan products and promoted local entrepreneurs, it has not been officially recognized and appreciated. That is why Abercom Uganda Technologies/Soko Uganda is spearheading an initiative referred to as the “BUBU Fashion and Billboard Awards to recognize and appreciate local performing artists who have consciously promoted our local private sector. The Company is anchoring the concept on the Buy Uganda Build Uganda Policy. The Event is similar to the one which is periodically undertaken by Wowzi technologies a Kenyan based company to promote both art and entertainment industry and business sector in Kenya.
THE BUBU FASHION AND BILLBOARD AWARDS
The BUBU Fashion and Billboard Awards is a two-in-one platform to showcase top brands promoted by performers in the art and entertainment industry. This will be an annual event under a Private Public Partnership between the Ministry of Trade Industry and Cooperatives (MTIC) and Abercom Uganda Technologies,
aimed at promoting BUBU by:
- Promoting local manufacturers and service providers both locally and internationally;
- Spotting, recognizing and awarding talent at regional level and national level;
- Encouraging, building and creating a positive mindset in Ugandans towards our local products;
- Engaging and strengthening private public partnership and coordination around the BUBU policy; and
- Providing a platform to network the different stake holders in the fashion, art and entertainment industry
The Event will be divided into two phases. The first phase will include showcasing Ugandan fashions while the second phase, the BUBU Billboard Awards, will be the climax with the intention to recognize and appreciate performing artists who have promoted BUBU/local content.
The BUBU Fashion and Billboard Awards will be launched in June 2021 in Kampala to kickstart the publicity activities. The Honorable Minister of Trade, Industry and Co-operatives will be the Guest of Honor at the Launch. The Minister will make a key note Speech in the presence of Platinum Sponsors, Chief Executives of private sector bodies and selected Government bodies.
The Event will comprise Regional Campaigns to publicize the BUBU initiative, identify local BUBU promoters and identify local challenges to BUBU implementation. The following activities will be undertaken:
- Publicizing the Awards to various regions through conferences involving BUBU stakeholders (local manufacturers and service providers, Local Government Officials, players in the art and entertainment industry), dialogues to share ideas on how promote BUBU.
- The campaigns will include entertainment by regional artists;
- The regional campaigns will give publicity to prospective competitors to interest nominations. The Committee will guide on how the nominations will be done.
- The Regional campaign will involve an entertainment session to promote local artists and a training session of local manufacturers on BUBU-Soko Uganda, accessing opportunities, certification and government incentives, the NIP, Hire Purchase etc;
- The Selection Panel for the final Event (17th December 2021) will be provided with a list of nominees from the region for that day; and
- Eminent people will be the guests of honor for the regional campaigns. These will include, but not limited to: Cultural Leaders, Members of Parliament, local private sector executives, Local Council leaders and technical staff and religious leaders.
WHAT IS MEANT BY BUBU FASHIONS?
BUBU Fashions refer to Ugandan made attires, footwear, caps/hats, ornaments and hair styles. The fabric, leather, accessories and complementary items as inputs into the final product may not be made in Uganda
WHY BUBU FASHION WEEK?
The Ministry decided that a Fashion Week be organized so as to mainly promote local clothing and footwear brands. It is well known that the country has several clothing lines, hair-dressing/styles and Ugandan made footwear. however, there has been limited usage of such due to negative mindset, limited marketing, adoption of new western attires and failure by local producers to keep up with the dynamic fashion industry. In addition, it is claimed that there is limited supply of Ugandan made outfits.
LINKAGE BETWEEN THE BUBU FASHION WEEK AND THE BUBU BILLBOARD AWARDS
The BUBU Billboard Awards will be the climax event of the three-day BUBU Fashion Event. The Awards are intended to recognize and appreciate performing artists who have supported the BUBU Campaign. Some of the performing artists will be the fashion models during the BUBU Fashion Week.
BUBU FASHION DESIGNERS AND MODELS
Given that performing artists are known to be brand ambassadors for, inter alia, clothing lines, footwear and body ornaments, performing artists will be used as the main models during the BUBU Fashion Week. Other models will include children aged between 6 years and 13 years, local public figures and senior executives of private sector companies. Applications will be sent to participating companies and institutions to nominate prospective models. The Committee might also choose public figure models if it deems necessary. This is intended to inspire people to buy Ugandan made wear.
BENEFITS OF THE FASHION WEEK TO THE BUBU CAMPAIGN AND SPONSORS
The BUBU Campaign will be promoted throught the six months of advertisements on TV stations, social media platforms, Radio stations and print media. On the final day, everyone will dress up in a Ugandan attire and or footwear bearing the word “BUBU”.
Similarly, the sponsors’ products will be advertised during the six months and will have their products on attires of every participant and on BUBU and related digital media platforms.
A BUBU Fashion and Billboard Awards Magazine will be published at the end of the events. The Magazine will include sponsors’ products, interviews of selected participants including sponsors, highlights of speeches and contacts of fashion designers and makers of local shoes and ornaments.
CATEGORIES OF FASHION DESIGNS
Categories of fashion designs will include:
- Traditional/cultural wear;
- Office wear;
- Casual wear;
- Children’s wear;
- Wedding gowns;
- Locally made footwear including traditional footwear; and
- Ornaments including local jewellery.
DAILY ACTIVITIES FOR THE WEEK
a. Wearing of Ugandan attires reflecting cultural diversity by the general public. Adverts will be run on mass media to encourage the public to wear a dress, blouse, trouser, shirt or pair of shoes made in Uganda during the three days;
b. Ministries, Departments, Agencies and public enterprises will be required to wear Ugandan made attires, ornaments and footwear. To realize this goal, the Ministry will request the prime minister to issue a circular instructing the afore-mentioned to comply with the directive;
c. Public and private enterprises will be required to record and submit their Fashion Challenges which will be aired on TV Stations and affiliate and bubu digital media channels. Fashion Challenges will be video interviews on the experience of putting on a Ugandan made attire and or footwear;
d. Musicians, comedians, DJs, VJs and promoters will wear branded outfits provided they are not in contravention to their existing brand sponsorship contracts;
e. Selected fashion designers and tailoring outlets will showcase their Ugandan made attires. The Ministry will compile a list of local fashion designers from Uganda Tailors Association and through visits to fashion outlets.;
f. Local footwear and ornaments will be showcased. The Ministry will develop a list of footwear makers from associations like Uganda Footwear and Leather Manufacturers Association;
g. Speeches will be made by Government representatives, UMA, PSFU and Platinum Sponsors.
SELECTION OF FASHION DESIGNERS AND FASHION MODELS
In addition to sending requests for applications to sponsors of the Event, fashion designers and models will be sourced through the electronic media adverts, and will pay participation fees to Soko Uganda Bank Account;
A panel of fashion experts will be appointed comprising of academia, fashion show hosts, four members of the Uganda Tailors Association and Textile Manufacturers Association of Uganda and retired fashion designers/knowledgeable individuals. The panel will develop a selection-criteria, sort out suitable contestants and undertake final selection of a winner.
A selection-criteria shall be developed by the panel as a guide.
Terms of reference will be developed for the panel by the BUBU Fashion and Billboard Awards Committee.
Participants and winners will be announced on the same day by the head of the panel in the presence of the BUBU Fashion and Billboard Awards Committee, guests and prospective winners.
APPRECIATION OF BUBU DESIGNERS AND MODELS
The two best winners in the event will be appreciated by the Sponsors and recognized with certificates and Awards bearing the phrase “Proudly/Truly Ugandan”.
THE BUBU BILLBOARD AWARDS
The BUBU Billboard Awards will include six months of sporting and identifying local talent in the art and entertainment industry who have promoted Ugandan brands across the priority goods sectors and service sectors. The sectors include: iron and steel, cement, furniture, pharmaceuticals, cables and conductors, foods and beverages, textile, footwear and leather products, construction materials, education, legal services, accounting and auditing, air ticketing, non-consultancy services, construction, printing, transport services.
A panel comprising a reputable local audit firm, a member of the academia, two nominees by the Uganda Musicians Association, two nominees by the comedian association, a person nominated by the Ministry responsible for performing artists, a URSB representative and a representative from Private Sector Foundation Uganda.
The Panel will develop a selection-criteria to guide them during the selection of winners. The BUBU Fashion and Billboard Awards Committee will develop Terms of reference for the Panel.
Winners will be selected and announced by the Panel on 17th December 2021 in the presence of contestants, the Committee and audience.
ACTIVITIES DURING THE BUBU BILLBOARD AWARDS
Some of the main activities include:
- A six-months campaign covering the four major regions of the country to identify BUBU promoters from whom \ local talent will be rewarded and recognized;
- Launching the online selling Platform (Soko Uganda);
- Launching the theme song for BUBU;
- Sensitize participants about initiatives and policies that govern the industry like copy rights, the BUBU policy; and
- Enlighten the public on how the event will benefit participants, the general public and the nation at large.
- A cocktail of Private Sector Executives, Senior Government Officials, fashion models and designers; and
- An awards ceremony.
- Awarding individuals and institutions which have had a great impact on the industry of art and entertainment;
- Strategies to promote the local arts and entertainment industry through an interactive on-stage show which will critique and advise the art and entertainment industry of Uganda;
- Promoting the local companies (manufacturers and service providers) through the various channels that will be promoting (Electronic and print media) the event;
- Information Dissemination and networking between Government agencies, Investors and the general public;
- Awarding different stakeholders who have excelled in the various categories in terms of quality and capacity to compete on the local and international markets by Government; and
- A platform to the public to appreciate and support this Government Policy.
BENEFITS TO THE BUBU CAMPAIGN AND SPONSORS
- Government will be able to sensitize the public and get the masses to rally behind the BUBU policy
- Appreciation from different stakeholders’ esp. SMEs (both local and foreign in Uganda) for creating a platform to showcase and creating a market for their products.
- It will be a platform for Government to get good feedback from investors and the general public on how to improve services and the policy.
- It will be a platform for visibility of all products Made in Uganda at a more than 80% reduction in advertisement costs.
- Motivation for improving quality and capacity to compete with outside boundaries products and services.
- Create linkage between social influencers and manufacturers
PRINCIPLE GUESTS FOR EACH DAY
The Chief Guest on the first day will be the Minister of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives who will officially open the event while the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry will close the activities of the first day.
The second day will be graced by Lt. General Elly Tumwine and closed by one of the Platinum Sponsors.
The Event will be officially closed on the third day by His Excellency, the President of Uganda. The Minister of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives will invite the President to make closing remarks and to present Awards to the best 4 fashion designers and four BUBU promoters. However, prior to the invitation, the Executive Directors of UMA and PSFU will address the audience.
The three-day event will take place at UMA Multi-Purpose Hall for all the three days. Selected TV Stations will air Fashion Challenges which will be submitted by companies for ten minutes.
Service providers will include providers of: sound system, catering services, lighting, videography, photography, ushering, decoration, disc jockey services and instrumentalists.
MASTERS OF THE CEREMONY
Each day will have its own masters of the ceremony who will not have to be anti-Government (not more than 2).
The event will be spiced by local music, dance and comedy at specific intervals which will be stipulated in the program.
DURATION OF THE BUBU FASHION AND BILLBOARD AWARDS
The BUBU Fashion Week will take place for three consecutive days starting from 15TH December 2021 to 17TH December 2021 the Event will commence at 3 pm and end at 8 pm on each of the three days.
The following are the sponsorship packages and their respective value for money analysis
DIAMOND SPONSORSHIP UGX 28,000,000/‐
- The sponsor(s) will be recognized as the Anchor sponsor(s)
- The sponsor(s) will benefit from the media blitz promoting the event
- The platinum’s logo will be PROMINENTLY included in all adverts (TV & Radio) as Main Sponsors of the BUBU Billboard Awards.
- Sponsor(s) will be given a platform to showcase their products.
- Sponsor(s) products will be displayed & mentioned during the TV & Radio Ad
- Products will be PROMINENTLY displayed at the Awards event.
- 10 Delegates Complementary tickets to the Awards
- 2 (two) Standard exhibition booths
- Company logo on all promotional materials including, Billboards, flyers and banners.
- Corporate signage displayed prominently around the conference venue including the exhibition area.
- Corporate logo will appear on the event website and special recognition during conference as the Platinum Sponsor.
- 20 Minute company presentations at the awards event about their goods or services.
- Giant banner in main Conference Auditorium with sponsor’s logos
- Cover page and 2 (Two) Full pages advert & write‐up in the Bubu billboard magazine
- Acknowledgement in conference session as a premier sponsor.
PLATINUM SPONSORSHIP 18,000,000/‐
- Sponsor(s) will be recognized as Platinum Sponsors at the event.
- The sponsor(s) will massively benefit from the media budget.
- Sponsors products to be mentioned during Radio Adverts
- 5 FREE Delegates Complementary tickets to the Awards
- Sponsor(s) will be given a platform to showcase their products at the event
- Company logo on all promotional materials including Billboards, Flyers and Banners.
- Corporate logo featured on the BUBU Billboard awards website throughout the year
- 10 Minute company presentations of its goods or services. Giant banner with sponsor’s logo in the Inside Cover
- 1 (One) Full page advertisement in the Bubu billboard magazine;
- 1 (one) FREE Standard exhibition booth.
- Acknowledgement as Platinum Sponsor in conference session.
GOLD SPONSORSHIP 10,000,000/‐
- The sponsor(s) will be recognized as Gold Sponsors
- The Sponsors will massively benefit from the six (6) month’s media budget that will Include TV, Radio, Newspapers, Billboards & flyers
- FREE Delegates Complementary tickets to the Event
- Company logo on all promotional materials
- Corporate signage displayed prominently around exhibition area the conference venue
- 10 Minutes company presentation
- A Giant Banner (with logos) in the Exhibition area and main auditorium
- Half page advertisement in the Bubu billboard magazine
- 1 standard exhibition booth
- Acknowledgment as Gold Sponsor at BUBU conference session
SILVER SPONSORSHIP 5,000,000 UG SHS
- The sponsor(s) will be recognized as Silver Sponsor(s)
- 2 FREE Delegates Complementary tickets to the Awards Gala Dinner
- Company logo on all promotional materials
- Corporate signage displayed prominently around exhibition area the conference venue
- Corporate logo featured on the BUBU Billboard Awards website throughout the year
- 5 Minutes company presentation about their products.
- A Giant Banner with the Sponsors logo displayed prominently at the venue, at the Exhibition area and main conference auditorium.
- Quarter page advert in the Bubu billboard magazine
- 1 (one) Standard exhibition booth
- Acknowledgement on the conference sessions.
GENERAL SPONSORSHIP 2,500,000 UG SHS
- 1 FREE Delegate Complementary ticket to the Awards
- Company logo on all promotional materials including Banners, Flyers and Billboards
- Corporate signage displayed prominently around the conference venue including the exhibition area
- A giant Banner (with sponsors’ logos) in the Exhibition area and main auditorium
- 1 (one) Standard exhibition booth
- Acknowledgement on the BUBU Billboard awards website
• 300,000 (Three Hundred Thousand Uganda shillings) ‐ includes a Tent, Table and Chairs
• 600,000 (Six Hundred Thousand Uganda Shillings) – includes a Tent, Two Tables and Chairs.
• 900, 000 (Nine Hundred Thousand Uganda Shillings) – includes a Tent, Three Tables and Chairs.
BUBU BILLBOARD AWARDS (17TH DECEMBER 2021)
• Table of ten (10)-2,000,000 UGX
• Table of five (5) – 1,000,000 UGX
• Individual tickets- 200,000 UGX
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT THE FOLLOWING PERSONS:
Mr. Makula James
Senior Commercial Officer
Ministry of Trade Industry and Cooperatives